The 11 Best Travel Board Games – Play Outdoors and at Home!
Looking for the best travel board games you can take on your outdoor adventures and play at home? Then check out this roundup of the top traveling board games that are lightweight, compact, fun, and that make for the perfect road trip activities for kids!
(Disclosure: Hiya, superstar! Certain links to products and/or services are affiliate links, and I may earn a commission for any purchases that you make. This will not be at any cost to you. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases)
Table of Contents
- 1 My Top 3 Choices of the Best Travel Size Games
- 2 Intro to this Roundup of the Best Travel Board Games
- 3 Benefits of Playing Board Games
- 4 The 11 Best Travel Board Games
- 5 Monopoly Deal Card Game
- 6 Ticket to Ride –Europe
- 7 Connect 4 Grab and Go Game -Travel Size
- 8 Hasbro Yahtzee to Go Travel Game
- 9 Cluedo or Clue Grab and Go Game -Travel Size
- 10 WE Games Cribbage Travel Game Pack
- 11 Magnetic Travel Chess Set with Folding Chess Board
- 12 Hasbro Travel Hungry Hippo Game
- 13 Apples to Apples – On the Go
- 14 Chinese Checkers and Traditional Checkers
- 15 Pictionary Travel Version Card Game
My Top 3 Choices of the Best Travel Size Games
Best for fast-paced entertainment and strategy: Monopoly Deal Card Game
Best for creative games -you don’t need to draw: Pictionary Card Games
Best card deck game for solving mysteries: Clue Grab and Go
Intro to this Roundup of the Best Travel Board Games
Being stuck at home these days can drive some of us close to nuts, especially when you have run out of new things to do. That may be an exaggeration, but if you are a budding outdoorsy-head more used to looking over cliffs than out of windows, it’s somewhat of a close experience.
But, staying indoors is the safest and the wisest thing at present to fight off the pandemic. Let’s focus on the bright side. The pandemic has granted most of us the luxury of time! You have now the chance to spend time at home doing what you have been putting off for months.
So, take some time off to unwind and relax by doing something entertaining. This is when a couple of good board games come in handy! For families with kids, some of these games can actually stop the little ones from wreaking havoc when outdoors. Moreover, they are one of the best activities you can do when camping with kids.
Benefits of Playing Board Games
Bringing Everyone Together
Even during your normal routine, board games are a great way to bring all your family members together and spend some quality time with them. From old to young, introvert to extrovert, workaholic to idlers, they are perfect for everyone alike. We even have some road trip games for couples.
Great for Mental and Physical Health
But, that’s not it. Playing board games is good for your mental and physical health -and will help you stay sharp over the years as well!
They keep you entertained, happy, and laughing like a buffoon sometimes, which helps in lowering stress, anxiety, and blood pressure. Yup, laughing is healthy friends!
Support the Development of Reasoning Skills and Social Interactions
For children specifically, board games are proven to support the development of logical and reasoning skills. They also teach young children to be patient while improving social skills of interaction.
Perfect for Unwinding After a Long Day Hiking
Personally, playing board games with my friends makes me feel so relaxed -which is why I can’t imagine a good camping night without some sort of a board game! They have always been a part of my camping adventures. After a long day of hiking, we set camp, prepare dinner, drink some wine, and prep for a good board game. They also make a fun camping gift!
The 11 Best Travel Board Games
Below, I have rounded up a list that covers all age categories. The best thing about them is they not only come in handy to play at home these days but also ideal to take when your traveling adventures resume! Some of them are even travel-themed taking you to some of your dream destinations!
One thing to note about these travel board games is that they are compact and lightweight in size and therefore may not be the most durable things. Best thing? They are interesting nevertheless!
Monopoly Deal Card Game
Best for: A fast-paced travel size monopoly game that doesn’t last forever -like the original version
Ages: 8 + years
Theme: buy and sell property
Size: card deck 10 x 13
Amazon rating: 4.8 (6846 reviews)
- Fast-paced which makes it one of the best travel card games out there
- Cards could be sturdier
- Some rules aren’t explained in the guide – you might have to check online or make up your own rules!
Other Considerations on Monopoly Deal Card Game
For those who are used to defining Monopoly with its traditional set of cards, money, and the iconic board, the idea of a card game might be off-putting. But, do give it a try and it will be one of your favorite mini travel games!
Ticket to Ride –Europe
Best for: Anyone who loves travel around the world games!
Players: 2-5 players
Ages: 8 + years
Theme: Travel – earn points by connecting cities
Size: 11.8 x 11.8 x 3 inches
Amazon rating: 4.8 (3372 reviews)
- You don’t need the original version of Ticket to Ride to understand this
- Added features -more than the original version
- Easy to learn the rules so appeal to both experienced and new gamers
- Can be too bulky to take around
- It takes around 60 minutes to complete. If you are looking for a quick game, this isn’t the one.
- Cities are written as they are known as their country of origin. So, might be confusing to some.
Other Considerations on Ticket to Ride
Ticket to Ride travel is a very educational game for both adults and kids with a chance to learn geography. It can be confusing at first but gets very interesting once you are familiar with the rules! However, if you already own the original version, investing in this may not be a great idea. Also, this is more of a ‘travel from home’ game -not a travel size game, unless you want to take it along with you anyway!
Connect 4 Grab and Go Game -Travel Size
Best for: Parents looking for a fun board game to keep their kids occupied for hours!
Players: 2 players
Ages: 6 + years
Theme: Connecting the same colored chips in a row
Size: 6 x 8 inches
Weight: Approximately 200gs
Amazon rating: 4.4 (630 Amazon reviews)
- Simple rules and set-up makes it easy to play
- Light in weight
- Stimulates brain development and hand-eye coordination
- Less durable
- Only 2 players at a time
Other Considerations on Connect 4 Grab and Go Game -Travel Size
Travel Connect 4 is very similar to tic-tac-toe except that you cannot insert chips from the middle as the game works by dropping connectors into the grids. You have to connect 4 chips of the same color in a vertical, horizontal, or diagonal row. It’s one of the best travel board games for kids with simple rules. Also great for parents to have fun too!
Hasbro Yahtzee to Go Travel Game
Best for: A perfect dice game to try out your luck
Players: 2 or more
Ages: 8+ years
Theme: A dice game based on probability. Get the highest score within the given rounds!
Size: 5.4 x 5.2 x 3.1 inches
Amazon rating: 4.7 (177 reviews)
- Compact packaging
- Any number of players can take part in the game
- Reasonable pricing
- The rattling noise when dice are shaken in the plastic container
- The size it’s not that small
Other considerations on Hasbro Yahtzee to Go Travel Game
If you are looking for strategy games board games, this one’s for you. Don’t forget to take a pencil along with you as the travel Yahtzee package doesn’t come with one.
Cluedo or Clue Grab and Go Game -Travel Size
Best for: Anyone who loves a game of suspense and full of clues that need to be solved. Also great if you want to be a Sherlock Holmes or Agatha Christie for the day!
Players: 2-6 people
Ages: 8 years and up
Size: 1.9 x 6.3 x 9.2 inches
Amazon rating: 4.2 (196 reviews)
- Very compact and light in weight
- Cheap price
- Improves reasoning skills, strategic thinking, and attentiveness
- Takes around 45 minutes to complete – not a drag!
- Some users have complained that the letters in Cluedo travel game are too small to read
- Lacks in durability
- Playing consecutively can make you feel bored.
Other considerations on Cluedo or Clue Grab and Go Game -Travel Size
For many of us, travel Cluedo or Clue is a comeback of the nostalgia of our childhood. It’s suspenseful and keeps players competing enthusiastically. Although it’s ideal for 8 years and up, some might find it difficult to catch up with the instructions and the method to play the game. But, once you get the hang of it, this is one of the travel board games you could wish for!
WE Games Cribbage Travel Game Pack
Best for: Any card game enthusiast who likes a competitive, fast-paced play. The ultra-lightweight makes it one of the best travel games!
Players: Normally, 2-4 people. However, this board is designed for two which is the ideal number.
Ages: 9 years and above
Theme: A card deck game played by scoring points
Size: Cribbage board 3.8 x 2 x 1 inches
Weight: The entire package is approximately 200gs
Amazon rating: 4.5 (188 ratings)
- Great quality, the wooden board is designed with a seamless finish
- Light in weight, ideal for you backpacking journeys
- Reasonably priced
- The foldable track makes it compact sized and easy to carry.
- The game only takes around 20-30 minutes to play.
- You can also play other games with the extras available
- You might find the instructions too complicated to understand (I suggest using online sources).
- Only 2 can play on this board.
Other Considerations of WE Games Cribbage and More Travel Game Pack
The travel cribbage set consists of a portable cribbage board, metal pegs, standard deck of cards, five wooden dice, and a handy pouch to hold them all in. While the highlight is Cribbage, you can play eleven other games using the set (instructions are available for all the games).
Like every standard deck card game, Cribbage is all about good strategy and a pinch of luck. If you are a beginner, it’s easy to get frustrated at the hands of your expert partner. haha. But, once you master the game, you would want to play in a row!
Magnetic Travel Chess Set with Folding Chess Board
Best for: People looking for a great portable magnetic chess set, checkers set, and travel backgammon set together! The 3-in-1 package won’t make you regret leaving one of them behind.
Ages: 6 years and up
Theme: Strategic board games
Size: 9.8 x 9.8 x 0.8 inches
Amazon rating: 4.6 (360reviews)
- The chess and checkers pieces stay in place as it’s magnetic. You won’t have to worry turbulence or a car break throwing off them anymore.
- The size of the board is comfortable enough for adults as well
- The clasp holds the board well once its folded
- The felt bottom of the pieces prevent scratches on the board
- Backgammon is not magnetic
- Not very compact
Other Considerations on Peradix Magnetic Travel Chess Set
You can easily store the pieces inside the folded board. These types of travel board games are proven to stimulate logical thinking and support brain development, great for kids and adults alike.
Hasbro Travel Hungry Hippo Game
Best for: Toddlers and kids as an ideal fun time activity and one of the best games for travel!
Players: 2 players
Ages: 4 years and up. I would say, Hungry Hippos travel game is safe enough for toddlers as well with adult supervision
Theme: Feeding hippos, gobbling marbles
Size: 2 x 6.3 x 9.2 inches
Amazon rating: 3.2 (109 reviews)
- The plastic covering ensures marbles don’t get lost and make it safe around small kids as well.
- Small and easily portable
- Build quality is low
- Can be too noisy to be played on the plane
- Marbles can get stuck if it’s roughly handled
Other Considerations on Travel Hungry Hippo
If you prefer to play the game with more players, you can go for the standard 4-player version. But it’s larger in size and not easily portable as the marbles aren’t enclosed in a plastic covering like the travel-hungry hippos version.
Apples to Apples – On the Go
Best for: Teens! This is a milder version of Cards Against Humanity with lots of humor to keep you rolling on the floor
Ages: 12 years and up
Theme: Answering questions
Size: 7.9 x 2 x 7.8 inches
Weight: 650 g
Amazon rating: 4.1 (51 reviews)
- Reasonably priced
- Light and compact
- Fun for adults as well
- Many people can take part in the game!
- The storage case can be smaller as there’s additional space after storing the cards
Other Considerations on Apples to Apples
According to the majority of the reviewers, it’s one of the best travel games for teens. However, the game may can have content/wordings that some might find offensive. Again, it depends on how you take it. If you are particular about such issues, especially when it comes to children, this might not be the best choice.
Chinese Checkers and Traditional Checkers
Best for: A travel Chinese checkers game that many can enjoy!
Players: 2-6 players
Ages: 6 + years
Theme: Strategic board game with marbles
Size: 11.5 x 11.5 x 9.0 inches
Weight: Approximately 500 grams
Amazon rating: 4 (273 reviews)
- An easily portable Chinese checker travel game
- Two travel-size board games in one (Chinese and traditional checkers)
- The marbles can roll away from the holes easily
- Average build quality
Other Considerations on Classic Game Collection Chinese Checkers
Many Chinese checkers boards available online that allows 6 people to play are not easily portable. In that sense, I think this is a great, lightweight choice, although there’s a compromise on the quality aspect.
Pictionary Travel Version Card Game
Best for: Anyone who wants to enjoy Pictionary even without a board -and folks who don’t want to draw!
Players: 2 or more
Ages: 3 years and up
Size: 1.9 x 9.2 x 14.5 cm
Amazon rating: 4.2 (318 reviews)
- Compact and light in weight
- No drawing required
- Less choice compared to the original version
Other Considerations on Pictionary Travel Version Card Game
Pictionary’s easy rules make it a joy to learn and play! This is a very engaging and interesting game that can go on for hours. As the game it’s more about putting pictures together -which are the drawings from the cards- it’s great for people who are shy to draw!
Liked this article? Save it to your favorite Pinterest board!